Early 1900's

Our History

The Redondo Beach Firefighters’ Association (RBFA) has also been a member of the California State Firefighters’ Association (CSFA) for more than 50 years and currently enjoys an excellent relationship with the City Council and the City Manager. As our Department continues to move forward, the department looks forward to future growth and technology implementations that will improve service delivery to our community.

Our firefighters also maintain close ties with our Sister City Fire Department in La Paz, Mexico. Over the years, our firefighters have acquired support from the Redondo Beach Rotary Club and other local Fire Departments in providing the City of La Paz, Mexico with donated fire equipment, apparatus and hose. The RBFA continues to play an active role in the community. Members volunteer their time when called upon for a variety of charitable events including the Village Runner 4th of July 10K Run that finances the Association’s Community Relief Fund.

The Redondo Beach Fire Department has a history which goes back to the beginning of the City of Redondo Beach itself. In 1892, newspapers first reported a move to organize a group of volunteers to run a fire brigade. They were all citizens and prominent entrepreneurs of the city and were on-hand anytime the fire bell rang out -- day or night. They would rush to the nearest of two-hand pulled hose carts and run to the fire with the equipment. It wasn't until 1907 when there was a call for reorganization and the purchase of modern firefighting equipment.

The City was far behind the larger cities in this area and needed to buy a motorized fire engine. The first fire truck was a converted "vim" truck with a ladder, chemical tank, and fire hoses on it. Finally, in 1921. The department was able to purchase a brand new American LaFrance 750-gallon per minute (gpm) pumper, their pride and joy. Today, well over 100 years later the Redondo Beach Fire Department recently took delivery of its newest addition to the fleet, a 1500 gpm American LaFrance pumper.